Introduction to Selenium Suit
Selenium suite has the following four tools. Their brief introduction will be discussed.
- Selenium IDE
- Selenium RC
- Selenium WebDriver
- Selenium Grid
What is Selenium IDE?
It is the most simple tool in selenium IDE. Selenium IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is available as an add-on on firefox. In selenium IDE tester just Record and Play the test cases and very much easy to use.
Now a day Google Chrome extension is also available for selenium IDE.
- easy to execute test cases
- no coding knowledge is required for the execution of the test cases
- not support conditional statements
- very limited
What is Selenium RC?
Selenium RC stands for Selenium Remote Control server. Test case execution using the server. There is no direct browser interaction in Selenium RC testing. Due to no direct deal with the browser, test execution is slow.
What is Selenium WebDriver?
Selenium webdriver is the most commonly used automation framework for automation testing. Selenium webdrive framework allows automation testing for web applications. Selenium WebDriver allows writing test scripts in multiple languages. Java and C# are the most commonly used languages.
Cross-browser testing can be done using Selenium webdriver.
It controls the browsers by directly communicating with it.
- Selenium WebDriver run on multiple operating systems
- Selenium support multiple coding languages
- Selenium WebDriver is compatible with all known browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc. So best for cross-browser testing.
- Selenium WebDriver is fast in execution
Selenium Grid is used to execute test scripts on multiple browsers on different devices at the same time.
Selenium Grid supports the parallel execution of test cases on multiple browsers.
In the next Tutorial, We will discuss about the Environment Setup for selenium.